Thursday, February 11, 2016

Dave the Good Sport, Aesthete, Cook...



Happy Birthday, Dave. 

I haven’t known you as long as all of the others who are posting here, so the good old family stories can’t really apply. Jill said “funny” stories. Hmmm. My stories about you would be more characterized as “sweet.”  You are a gentle spirit. In the 17 years or so that I have known you, I have never seen you be anything but really kind, tolerant and interested in others—especially your family.  I’m sure you have your goofball stories with them…but I’ll honor your 75th from a slightly different perspective.

To me, I celebrate you as a consistently good sport, a deep thinker, an aesthete, a great cook, and always an enjoyable companion.   I am so appreciative of the myriad of times I have tagged along with you and Jean, and the time when you drove to Mayo to be with me after my surgery. Of course there was the time you brought me home from a colonoscopy, too. I notice and appreciate your keen interest in and commitment to the kids that you volunteer with, and the real respect and involvement that you had/have with your own mom and kids, since I have known you. I actually have enjoyed our conversations about anxiety and the mysteries of the mind. I’m sure we will have more as we get older and face even more mysteries!

I wish you the best of birthdays and many, many more. I am very happy to be in your life. 

Love, 
Sue Cook



No comments:

Post a Comment