Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Big Sailing Trip

The big sailing trip.

I was at least eighteen, and not sure of much in my life, contrary to all appearances.  Dad asked me to start out his largest voyage to date.

I was honored, and needed some good time with dad, but also the solace of the open water and a little adventure too.

I saw the greatest sunset of my life there with dad.  We passed through clouds of giant biting flies.  I got to enter cities as a person of the water and not just a passenger in a car.

This was a different way to approach civilization, and with the time on the water was so much more valued.

Dad and I had good talks, and we even got a little tired of each other.  Either way my world got bigger in those two weeks and I thank him for it.

This trip, was a microcosm of all the time I spent with dad on the boat.  I started off thinking of the sailboat as slow and boring, but the shore as full of intrigue and smelly things.  Now I think of all those times with Dad, whether spent in the cabin, on the deck, or exploring the shore, fondly, and a big part of who I am now.

Thanks Dad, you shared your passion with me, and helped me learn to have passion.

April Kester

No comments:

Post a Comment